Sunday, November 21, 2010

The 200 Freestyle

Two gold medals into the Beijing Olympics for me and it was already shaping up to be a great adventure.  I don’t think there would be a tougher race than my third one though, the 200 freestyle.  This was the same race that keep my from my eight gold medals four years ago in Athens.  A guy by the name of Ian Thorpe managed to grab gold, while I settled for bronze.  That loss drove me to train harder than before.  I did not like losing like most people, but something about that race made me more determined than any other loss before it.  Ian and I never raced again after that race in Athens.  Ian retired from swimming because he was no longer motivated to swim.  I wasn’t going to let that stop me from my goals.  I was still determined to redeem myself in this race and get that third gold medal.  After the beep sounded, I swam out to an early lead.  I hit the 100 wall in 50.29 seconds.  After three turns, I was almost two full seconds ahead of Peter Vanderkaay.  I took that lead with me all the way home to the finish.  I finished in world record time also: 1:42.96.  The guy that got second, Park Tae-Hwan of South Korea, finished 1.89 seconds behind me.  That was the biggest margain of victory in the 200 free in Olympic history.  Three for three.


No comments:

Post a Comment